Sunday, February 24, 2013

Will the Real Louis Santana Please Stand Up?


“Candid Thoughts”

 I was going through my older written works the other day, and I came across a 13-year old document.  It was originally a piece meant for Esquire to celebrate my retirement from boxing. The task was simple: Write the 30 things I have learned for their regular column aptly entitled “What I’ve Learned.”  The piece never made print, but I kept the original that I wrote because I thought there were some really great things on there that revealed a lot about me and the many life-lessons I had learned and gained throughout my boxing career. I’ll be sharing that with you shortly.

People have asked me on occasion where my idea to do such a candid blog comes from. This blog was born out of the desire to candidly convey my thoughts in the role of that “anonymous” person you never see in the coffee shops, at the bus stops, or the sidewalks as life unfolds before them. I have realized one thing since I picked up my addiction to writing once more; I've learned that I am truly a rebel from another dimension; one who rebukes busy-ness, and searches for authentic meaning in every moment that crosses my path. My life is also in part fascinated with meaning; where it comes from, what it means, and how to explain it to others. My career as a writer is part storyteller, part document-er  documenting what is happening around us, and what lessons if any, we can take from those experiences.

Finally I have learned that I am also deeply in love with the printed word; always have been since I was about 5 years old. I love the way sentences dance and chase each other over the pages, interlocking, parrying, and finally twisting together to blast off in any direction, vividly and quickly. Fictional works do so in bright colors while non-fiction does so in lucid yet subtle grey tones. There are times I find myself delighted with how even as I read, there are sections that are non-directly shouting out a specific message, and yet still not stating it directly in print. If you understood this last line, you are truly a fan of the written word.    

Thus I have resigned myself to simply enjoying what is put before me, knowing that I can now find meaning in those very things that seem meaningless; a wasted day of resting at the lake, or a day at the gym working up a sweat. I see greatness in the play-time with my children, or in the hard work and long hours to make a business work. I see value in connecting with people, affirming them, sharing and swapping stories. That’s me, a guy who is as comfortable sharing a drink with you over a relaxing sunny day, as the guy full of intensity at the gym, on the playing field or at the office, ferocious and non-stop.  Here is what “I Have Learned”- I have cut a few, adapted some others, but there are some that are vintage Santana.  Enjoy….

“What I’ve Learned”- Adapted and updated by Louis Santana 

What I’ve learned


 Louis Santana

  1. That “Bible” is not a 4-letter word.

  1. The key to success is equal parts Preparation and Focus.

  1. Life is hard enough without people judging.

  1. Humor is wonderful medicine.

  1. Two words- Egg Nog.

  1. Two more words- Lemon Pepper.

  1. I've learned that I would rather take a punch than a pinch.

  1. Life is a lot easier if you are able to laugh at yourself.

  1. Its not how many times you fall down, it’s how many times you get back up.

  1. People are strange.

  1. If you don’t think so, maybe you are the strange one.

  1. Music and Passion are the drivers of the soul.

  1. I will never cease to be amazed by how beautiful women are.

  1. There are 3 T’s to ice cream one must consider; texture, temperature, and taste.

  1. All fast food restaurants should have health warning labels on their bags.

  1. More people should work out.

  1. In life, choose to never arrive.

  1. The greatest value you can hold is to be true to yourself- don’t dance for anybody; dance because you want to dance.

  1. My turn-off?  That’s easy- people who are too busy.

  1. I’m much more relaxed then I was 10 years ago.

  1.  I've learned I still have a long way to go… it’s that “never arrive” thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment